Recent innovations give us a lot of advances in the field of science and that is why it is not surprising that we often rely on the latest medicines to treat our disease. This is one of the reasons old remedies are forgotten or put aside because people prefer the brand names they are familiar with. That is, until researchers studied these ancient remedies and discovered that they actually work. Because of this discovery, people started to consider alternative medicine for their health problems.
Ancient remedies that can be used today
Although modern medicine is commonly prescribed today, people can’t help but wonder if there are any other solutions that can help them with their disease. After all, the more we take these drugs, the more tolerant our body becomes to their effects. The good news is that ancient remedies seem to be making a comeback in the world of health and wellness in the form of alternative medicine. Here are some studies that have been studied and found to be effective:
Commonly referred to as rose root or gold root, rosehip has many medicinal properties associated with it such as reducing the effects of depression as well as fatigue. It is no wonder why ancient civilizations relied on this herb for medicinal purposes during their time.
Ginkgo biloba has been around for over 10,000 years and is still used to help with Alzheimer’s disease and dementia. If the leaves of the plant are often used to treat mental problems from memory loss, to dizziness, to headaches, and even mood swings to name a few. It is even prescribed to patients with cognitive problems and even sleep disorders.
Black cumin seeds
Also referred to as Nigella sativa, black cumin seed was used by muslin farmers, but it is important to note that its medicinal properties have been used even before the advent of Islam. The seeds were often prescribed to people suffering from asthma, diabetes, back pain, fever, infections, and even digestive problems. If used externally, it can even help treat those suffering from eczema or psoriasis. The black seed bean is believed to contain more than 100 healthy components such as carbohydrates, fatty acids, vitamins and minerals as well as protein. Recent studies indicate that black cumin seeds have anti-leukemia, anti-diabetic, and anti-inflammatory properties, and can also combat the formation of cancer.
Both grape skin extract and grape seed extract have been found to contain high amounts of antioxidants and are known to lower cholesterol levels and blood pressure as well. It also comes with vasodilating effects as it helps relax the arterial wall.
Panax ginseng is often used as an adaptogen herb to combat insomnia, depression, adrenal fatigue, and fatigue while boosting the immune system. It even protects you from environmental stress while boosting cognitive function, memory, and focus, including athletic and physical performance.
This refers to the bark of the Amur cork tree which is a staple in ancient Chinese medicine due to its healing capabilities. This extract is commonly used as a pain reliever. The latest research shows that this extract also has the ability to block the pathways of carcinogenesis and even prevent scarring when taking cancer medications. It can even help with the inflammation that occurs within tumors.
Hawthorn is another ancient remedy that has recently proven effective. During ancient times, hawthorn was used to treat various cardiovascular problems due to its ability to calm the nervous system. It also has a relaxing effect on the arteries, which helps lower blood pressure. Low blood pressure reduces the risk of heart disease such as stroke and heart attack.
Garlic or Allium Sativum is popularly used to reduce high blood pressure, atherosclerosis, coronary heart disease, chronic fatigue syndrome, earaches, and even infections to name a few. Another advantage of this ancient remedy is that it also works as an anticoagulant.
Aloe vera has another name, which is the “plant of immortality”. Ancient civilizations used this plant for various medical conditions from burns, asthma, diabetes, obesity, acne and even dermatitis. Aloe vera contains about 95% water while the remaining 5% contains high amounts of healthy enzymes. It contains more than 200 vital compounds such as vitamins, minerals, amino acids, and other enzymes that have been found to improve the body’s ability to absorb nutrients. Even today, the aloe vera plant is still used to treat various health problems.
Who would have thought that these ancient remedies still have a place in our modern world? These are just a few examples of ancient therapies that researchers have found effective with more trials still being tested to determine their effectiveness. Whether you’re into alternative medicine or looking for a treatment that doesn’t come with any side effects, it seems ancient remedies may still have a place in our society today.