You don’t have to watch My Big Greek Wedding to want to be a part of Greek culture. When you hear Greek last names, it is very easy to tell where someone is. The following list of common Greek last names and their meanings is ideal if you need to find a Greek last name for an alter ego or for a character in a story. These names range from very common to more exotic options, so there are plenty of nicknames to choose from.
100 Common Greek Names and Their Meanings
1. Selenophoto: In Greek, this name means moonlight.
2. Adamos: In Greek, this means son of Adam.
3. Papamichael: This Greek name is said to mean the son of the priest Michael.
4. Lykaios: This is a Greek name derived from a Greek word meaning wolf.
5. Andino: This surname means manly.
6. Manikas: This Greek title is what you call a person who makes handles.
7. Galanis: This is a nickname for someone who has pale blue eyes.
8. Chloros: This Greek surname means green.
9. Artino: A home name once given to a person from the city of Arta.
10. Christodoulopoulos: This means descendant of the servant of Christ.
11. Balaska: This is the feminine form of Balaskas.
12. Balaskas: This is the masculine version of Balaska.
13. Gataki: This Greek name means cat.
14. Aetos: This name means eagle in Greek.
15. Christophoro: In Greek, this name is a variation on the name Christophoros.
16. Ganas: This is a Greek name for people who work in the copper industry.
17. Andreu: This name is actually a variation on the name Andreas.
18. Gavril: This is a given name in Greek.
19. Mandrapilias: You hear this name a lot in and around Sparta.
20. Danielopoulos: This Greek surname means son of Daniel.
21. Papatonis: This is one of the cooler-sounding Greek names.
22. Diamantopoulos: In Greek, this surname means son of Diamanto.
23. Servopoulos: This Greek name actually means descendant of a Serbian.
24. Angelopoulos: This name comes from the name Angelos, which means angel.
25. Papazoglou: In Greek, this name means son of a priest.
26. Diakos: Diakos means deacon.
27. Sideris: “May the child grow up to be strong like iron.”
28. Dimitropoulos: This is from the given name Demetrius.
29. Hatzis: In Greek, this is a variation of the name Hatzi.
30. Laskaris: This nickname is for a type of soldier.
31. Matthias: This surname comes from the Greek version of Matthew.
32. Nomikos: This Greek surname means law-related.
33. Pappas: This name is said to mean priest.
34. Samaras: In Greek, Samaras is a term for a saddle maker.
35. Tsitak: This name means God.
36. Alexandroupoulos: In Greek, this means son of Alexandros.
37. Zika: In Greek, this name is a shorter version of the name Zikmond. Unfortunately, it is now also the name of a type of virus.
38. Vasilakis: This Greek surname is formed from the given name Vasilis.
39. Angelos: In Greek, this means angel.
40. Savvas: In Greek, this name actually means Saturday.
41. Pavlides: This is a nickname that means son of Pavlos.
42. Christoyannopoulos: This surname means a descendant of John and Christ.
43. Onasis: In Greek, this means lover.
44. Economos: In Greek, this title is for someone who manages property or acts as an agent.
45. Matteo: This Greek surname means son of Matthias.
46. Chronis: In Greek, this means time or year.
47. Leos: This nickname is a change of name to Leon.
48. Konstantinopolites: This is a given name for someone who comes from Constantinople.
49. Iraklidis: This Greek name means son of Heracles.
50. German: This name actually means German and usually represents a German immigrant.
51. Doukas: This Greek surname means duke.
52. Moralis: Originally, this name came from the Spanish family name Morales.
53. Martinus: This last name comes from the English surname, Martin.
54. Koris: It is a Greek nickname for a person who lives in a forest.
55. Othonos: This Greek name comes from the name Otto.
56. Papachristodoulopoulos: This surprisingly long name means descendant of a priest and servant of Christ.
57. Remis: This is a Greek surname derived from a medieval first name.
58. Constantino: This is from the given name Constantinos.
59. Scala: In Greek, this name can mean steps, a ladder or a sidewalk.
60. Yiannopoulos: In Greek, this name means son of Yianni.
61. Thanos: This nickname means immortal.
62. Georgopoulos: This Greek surname is a variation on the name Georgios.
63. Rosie: This nickname comes from the woman’s given name, Rosa.
64. Papadiamantopoulos: This is a Greek name for someone from the diamond priest lineage.
65. Ariete: This name can mean friendly, amiable, or generous.
66. Panagos: This Greek name means all sacred.
67. Kyriakou: This is actually a Cypriot surname.
68. Demetriades: This Greek name means son of Demetris.
69. Masalis: You can often find this name here in Cyprus.
70. Hatzi: This name is given to someone who successfully completes the Hajj.
71. Nephus: Nephus is a pretty name. It means the son of God who will also become a god.
72. Levidis: is a Greek surname meaning son of Levi.
73. Alexopoulos: This is a variation of the first name Alexious.
74. Michael: In Greek, this nickname came from the name of the Archangel Michael.
75. Persopoulos: This surname is said to mean descendant of a Persian.
76. Philo: In Greek, this is a variation of the name Philip.
77. Stephanopoulos: This is a Greek name that means son of Stephen.
78. Zafeiriou: In Greek, this is for the son of Zafeiris.
79. Danielos: In Greek, this name is said to mean son of Daniel.
80. Voulgaropoulos: This surname means descendant of a Bulgarian.
81. Theodoropoulos: This Greek last name means son of Theodoros.
82. Katopodis: This is a common Greek last name.
83. Petrakis: This is one of the most common Greek family names. It is a variation on the name Peter.
84. Michalidis: In Greek, this name means son of Michael.
85. Diamandis: This Greek surname means diamond.
86. Louis: This name comes from Louis’s given name.
87. Xiphias: This Greek name means swordfish.
88. Mikos: In Greek, this surname is a variation of the name, Nicholas.
89. Dukakis: This is a Greek name for someone who is the son of a duke.
90. Pantazis: In Greek, this name means to live forever or to live forever.
91. Stephanopoulos: This nickname is for someone who is Stephen’s son.
92. Markopoulos: This is a Greek last name for someone who is the son of Mark.
93. Kazan: This is a name for someone who makes pots.
94. Roussopoulos: It is a Greek surname for a person of Russian origin.
95. Loukanis: In Greek, this name is often a nickname for a sausage maker or butcher because it means sausage.
96. Nikolaos: This is a Greek name for someone who is the son of Nikolaos.
97. Angelis: In Greece, this surname is a variation of the name Angelos.
98. Matsuoka: In Greek, this nickname means bat.
99. Frangopoulos: This Greek surname means descendant of Frank. The Franks were a group of people in Europe.
100. Tsaoussis: In Greek, the name comes from a word meaning peacock.